Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Cycling in Kerala-Day 1

This blog is day one Fort Cochin to someplace further south

These kids wanted to ride with us, well really me.  Look how white I am.  They were cute-they wanted to race me.  Turns out this was a common theme EVERYWHERE. 

See, I told you they are more impressive in the villages.

This woman is making coir-a rope made from coconut fibers.  The wheel on the left spins the ropes which are tight, and looped around on the far end.

Here is a pile of the coconut fiber.

My fan club.  I didn't have "one pen" to give to them.  So then they asked me for a drink of water.  Again, the answer is no.

This is the homestay place from the first night.  She was a phenomenal cook.  Oh and the host father broke his arm when we were there riding one of our bikes around.  Very sad.

The inside of our place.

Crossing the small river to get to the ocean.

Once we got to ocean, we saw this guy fishing with this net.  He twirled around all hammer throw style, and let it loose.  It was cool.

Also on the beach, we saw these guys dumping fish from the basket on top of the man's head onto the net.  They are drying these fish for traditional fish curry.

No comments:

Post a Comment